Public Outreach and Media Associate
Nations & States is currently seeking a Public Outreach and Media Associate to assist in developing and implementing both short- and long-term outreach strategies for our rapidly growing publication. Based out of Washington, DC, the Associate will be responsible for establishing and maintaining working relationships with (1) members of established media outlets and think tanks, and (2) students, professors, and administrators at universities nationwide, with a focus on institutions within the DC Metro Area. By working closely with the NS board and new director of social media, the Associate will play a leading role in the growth of the publication by acting as its public representative, and may have an opportunity to hire and manage his or her own staff, should it become necessary.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing, implementing, and maintaining a comprehensive rolodex that includes contact information of individuals at universities, media outlets, and other targeted organizations
- Scheduling frequent virtual and in-person meetings with these aforementioned individuals to glean information from them that serves the interests of Nations & States’ Contributing Writers, Editors, and most importantly, valued worldwide supporters
- Creating and strategically circulating advertisements for millennials, encouraging them to engage with Nations & States through volunteering, submitting articles, sharing its content, or participating in writing contests, networking events, and/or debates and information sessions
- Drafting, (co)authoring, and publishing a substantive and original report that assists millennials in getting their work on foreign policy published in a variety of mediums—journals, traditional media outlets, online publications, etc.
- Assisting with other miscellaneous duties as needed
Current students or recent graduates of both undergraduate and graduate programs, preferably with a focus on international relations, area studies, political science, communications, and/or journalism are encouraged to apply.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Requirements
- Extraordinary interpersonal skills and an avid interest in networking with many different types of people, ranging from first-year college students to executives at internationally renowned institutions (social butterflies will enjoy this role)
- An ability to write quickly, concisely, and persuasively in different “voices,” depending on the situation at hand (journalism experience a major plus)
- A creative mindset and “self-starter/go-getter” mentality
- Demonstrated ability to create and prioritize his/her own tasks, and follow through without much oversight
- Proficiency in Photoshop and/or Adobe InDesign a major plus
- Demonstrated experience in public speaking is highly valued
- Individuals active on social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube) with impressive followings are highly valued
To apply, please send an up-to-date resume, cover letter, and one (1) writing sample of 500 words or more to firstname.lastname@example.org. If we are interested in following up with your application, we will be in touch. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
This position is currently unpaid.